Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Here we go again: PVC PIPE FOR AIR SUPPLY LINES

There's white PVC, and the slightly colored CPVC. I'm not
sure if one has higher pressure rating.

How far do you have to go? And roughly how many fittings?
I'd want to take a look at black iron. You might find the
price difference isn't all that much. Might be worth it, for
the peace of mind. Since you're buying both PVC and the wire
mesh stuff.

That, or air hose from Harbor Freight, which might not be
all that much safer.

One place I know, put in over head iron pipe. Neglected the
drip legs, so their air power disk sanders spit water, in
the summer. No good.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"justme" wrote in message
Due to having no money and abundance of devil-may-care, I am
thinking
of using P.V.C. pipe to put in my shop for air supply. I am
thinking
of using 1/2 inch due the the highest pressure rating
compared to
larger sizes.

Now, my thought is to buy some wire cloth - the stuff that
has open
squares of ~ .5 inch and cut it where, when formed into a
tube, it
would cover the p.v.c. pipe comfortably.

Should the pipe explode due to the air pressure, the
wire-cloth should
stop large pieces from becoming killer pieces.

I expect the nay sayers to say: DON'T DO IT, YOU WILL BE
KILLED. To
them I say: I don't expect to eliminate ALL CHANCES OF DEATH
OR INJURY
BUT I DO EXPECT THE SHIELDING TO CALM MY FEARS RATHER THAN
USING BARE
PIPE.

What say?

Thanks