Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim[_31_] Tim[_31_] is offline

Default Speaking of Snap Rings -- Music Wire

On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 16:55:02 -0400, Leon Fisk wrote:

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 13:28:40 -0600
Tim Wescott wrote:

Same reasons as for my annealing post: I'm trying to do a nicer job of
mounting wheels on model airplanes.

Given a piece of music wire that's already bent up (because you don't
really know where the end is going to be until it's bent), how would you
put a snap ring groove in a piece of hardened music wire? Would a
groove made by a 1/32" cutoff disk in a Dremel tool have any chance of
being good enough? Can you think of any simple fixturing that would
make the process better?

I would use an abrasive cutoff disk in my Dremel, very carefully.

Have you seen these clips before?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#circle-clips/=ezp5lz

Specifically this one (McMaster links don't always work right):

http://www.mcmaster.com/#94824A100

or search on item #94824A100. These are for 4mm shafts, maybe too big
but may give you some other ideas. They also have crimp on clips like
##90102A011.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#90102A011

Another off-the-wall idea is to try using bicycle wheel spokes. They are
around 1/8 inch and already come with a threaded end. An old spoke nut
works pretty good to use as a crimp-on too. I've used same to crimp on
bicycle cables to stop the end from fraying.

Actually I think the 90153A212 looks better.

I have never seen a bicycle wheel spoke that was 1/8" in diameter.
They're more like 14 or 16 gauge. Motorcycle spokes, maybe.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com