Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_2_] Steve W.[_2_] is offline

Default Speaking of Snap Rings -- Music Wire

Tim Wescott wrote:
Same reasons as for my annealing post: I'm trying to do a nicer job of
mounting wheels on model airplanes.

Given a piece of music wire that's already bent up (because you don't
really know where the end is going to be until it's bent), how would you
put a snap ring groove in a piece of hardened music wire? Would a groove
made by a 1/32" cutoff disk in a Dremel tool have any chance of being
good enough? Can you think of any simple fixturing that would make the
process better?

Make a jig with a hole for the wire. Cut a slot in it to position the
wheel. Rotate the wire while the wheel cuts.

Even a very shallow groove would lock a push nut style retainer.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Pus...FV9?Pid=search

or maybe a pretty version
http://www.boltproducts.com/cap-nuts.html

--