Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave__67 Dave__67 is offline

Default Speaking of Snap Rings -- Music Wire

On Nov 17, 4:53*pm, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 13:31:54 -0800, Dave__67 wrote:
On Nov 17, 2:28*pm, Tim Wescott wrote:
Same reasons as for my annealing post: I'm trying to do a nicer job of
mounting wheels on model airplanes.

Given a piece of music wire that's already bent up (because you don't
really know where the end is going to be until it's bent), how would
you put a snap ring groove in a piece of hardened music wire? *Would a
groove made by a 1/32" cutoff disk in a Dremel tool have any chance of
being good enough? *Can you think of any simple fixturing that would
make the process better?

--www.wescottdesign.com

I have never been able to make a nice groove in a round piece with a
dremel, it grabs and cuts an arc, and with music wire (how thick?) the
wire would be bending a bit, too.

If you have a straight shot at the end you could make a small toolholder
that fits over the end of the wire, maybe bottoms out, and has a cutter
that you advance with a screw, almost like a tubing cutter but with a
small parting tool, or a collar with a setscrew but the setscrew
advances a parting tool.

It's 1/8" diameter, and I was thinking of something along the lines of
your toolholder idea.

--www.wescottdesign.com

I would say you could sell such an item... there's a good need in the
RC industry for a reasonable way to cut a nice C-clip groove in, say,
a 5mm ground motor shaft.

Dave