Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave__67 Dave__67 is offline

Default Speaking of Snap Rings -- Music Wire

On Nov 17, 2:28*pm, Tim Wescott wrote:
Same reasons as for my annealing post: I'm trying to do a nicer job of
mounting wheels on model airplanes.

Given a piece of music wire that's already bent up (because you don't
really know where the end is going to be until it's bent), how would you
put a snap ring groove in a piece of hardened music wire? *Would a groove
made by a 1/32" cutoff disk in a Dremel tool have any chance of being
good enough? *Can you think of any simple fixturing that would make the
process better?

--www.wescottdesign.com

I have never been able to make a nice groove in a round piece with a
dremel, it grabs and cuts an arc, and with music wire (how thick?) the
wire would be bending a bit, too.

If you have a straight shot at the end you could make a small
toolholder that fits over the end of the wire, maybe bottoms out, and
has a cutter that you advance with a screw, almost like a tubing
cutter but with a small parting tool, or a collar with a setscrew but
the setscrew advances a parting tool.

Dave