Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal[_3_] Ecnerwal[_3_] is offline

Default Speaking of Snap Rings -- Music Wire

In article ,
Tim Wescott wrote:

Same reasons as for my annealing post: I'm trying to do a nicer job of
mounting wheels on model airplanes.

Given a piece of music wire that's already bent up (because you don't
really know where the end is going to be until it's bent), how would you
put a snap ring groove in a piece of hardened music wire? Would a groove
made by a 1/32" cutoff disk in a Dremel tool have any chance of being
good enough? Can you think of any simple fixturing that would make the
process better?

Works on my backhoe, no reason it can't on your model airplanes...of
course I use thicker snap-rings on the hoe on bigger parts, but that is
essentially how I cut them in-situ when needed.

For a "fixture" try a section or two of plastic tubing that fits snugly
over the wire to register the cutting wheel against (or between, with
two.) It will wear a bit, but should be better than pure freehand. Or
rig up a deal with a hole that you stick the end through and then turn
the bent-up wire as a crank to rotate it against a jigged disk.