Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Bugger, broken drill bit...

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in message ...

"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

Snag wrote:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Ecnerwal fired this
volley in
:

There may also be a chemical approach.

there is. Searching my own archives, but it was posted here.

Something akin to "Boiling out broken taps".

Go wayback.

LLoyd

ISTR something about using alum as a means to dissolve steel without
affecting aluminum . Of course I may be wrong , and it would be neither
the
first nor the last time .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

That's what I've found searching around as well. Of course no regular
stores actually carry Alum any more, so I had to order some. I also
ordered up some Lye for the eventually anodizing of the part since
nobody carries that any more either *grumble*.

Alum, saturated solution in water. use it hot (near boiling). immerse the
part. I have tried building dams around it and it is always a big PITA.
With a hole that small and that deep, you will want to occasionally poke
fresh solution down in the hole with a piece of wire.

Paul K. Dickman

[reply]

How long does this take to work, Paul? I just mean order of magnitude or
so -- hours, days, or what?

--
Ed Huntress

I'm hoping for such a small bit it's a modest number of hours with
periodic flushing of the hole.