Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Jamie Jamie is offline

Default Hoist brake solenoid buzzes/fluckers instead of steadily pulling

On 2011-11-14, Jeffrey Angus wrote:

On 11/13/2011 8:52 PM, Ignoramus22978 wrote:

The hoist can be entirely rewired for 240/480. It actually WAS wired
for 480 and I had to rewire. So, you are saying that to complete this
transition to 240, I would have to replace the solenoid?

Ok, let's back up a bit. WHEN was the last time the hoist worked
like it should? When it was installed and operating on 480 v?

Or was it working at some point when re-wired for 240 v and THEN
started to act up with the brake solenoid?

I bought it at auction.

I have never seen this hoist run.

At my place, I have 240v 3ph only. (well, I have a transformer that I
could wire to get 460v, but it is sitting in the corner right now).

Ok, so what is the original coil voltage suppose to be? 230 or 480?

You do know that many of those types of devices that allow you to
rewire uses the same coil for both voltages? Normally the coil is
spec'd out for 230V AC.. which will work in either case, it's just
where you connect the wires to.

Jamie