Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Aches and pains

On 11/3/2011 9:11 AM, Peter wrote:
On 11/2/2011 9:40 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Motrin IB isn't doing much good for me, tonight. The little
brown generic ibuprophen also don't do much good.

Aleve seems to help, generic naproxyn is useless.

Generic acetaminophen seems to help. Arthritis strength
generic acetaminophen seems to help.

Wish I could find a pill that's cheap, and relieves pain.

Aspirin, because it has been around for so long, and because it has
always been a non-prescription medication, doesn't get much respect in
the lay community. And, if doctors advise patients to use it, they are
likely to hear, "I waited 2 weeks to see you, I have to pay a co-pay,
and all you tell me is take aspirin?" However, it is an excellent pain
reliever and in most studies, no less strong a pain reliever than any of
the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory meds.

Chances are good (but not certain) that if you don't have medical
contra-indications for using ibuprophen and naproxyn, you don't have
medical contra-indications for using aspirin. If you don't, you may be
surprised how effective 650mg of aspirin 3-4x/day can be in relieving
pain. Don't give up if you are unimpressed after the first 1 or 2 doses.
It takes a few days for the blood level of aspirin to max out at a
therapeutically effective steady state level, which is higher than you
achieve during the first day or so of treatment.

Obviously, without knowing your full medical history and status, it may
be medically wrong for you. Consult your family MD first if you are not
sure. If you do try it, try to take the doses either with or soon after
a meal - or at least a snack - and avoid caffeine and alcohol - both of
which greatly increase the risk of serious stomach irritation, ulcers,
gastro-intestinal bleeding, etc. Consult the web or package insert and
be aware of the side effects that signal a need to immediately stop
taking aspirin - excessive blood levels can do more than just affect
your stomach.

Acetaminophen is only a mild analgesic (pain reliever) and has no
anti-inflammatory effect. It works for mild pain in some people, and is
entirely ineffective in some. It also has a very small margin of safety
between maximal safe dose and dangerously toxic dose. Probably should
really be by prescription only, or removed from the market entirely.
Hope you feel better. Distract yourself by reading some Paul Krugman.

When I took high doses of aspirin for pain, it turned the water in the
toilet red whenever I dropped a load of ready mix. I had to take multi
vitamins for women because the pills contained iron. ^_^

TDD