Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) is offline

Default Hoist brake solenoid buzzes/fluckers instead of steadily pulling

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 11:47:07 -0600, Ignoramus22978

On 2011-11-13, BQ340 wrote:
On 11/13/2011 10:21 AM, Ignoramus22978 wrote:

I am thinking that perhaps this solenoid has two separate coils,
pulling and holding one, and the holding one is not working or not
engaging?

Any idea?

thanks

There would be more than 2 terminals on it if it had multiple windings.

MikeB

OK, I kind of suspected that also (based on my past diesel generator
experiences).

Yup, it's just a standard box solenoid, probably Dormeyer they make
zillions of them - and all crapped up inside that end-bell. If it was
something fancy it would look it.

Take it apart and clean up all the sliding and metal surfaces, a
little dab of Lubriplate white grease on the moving pole pieces inside
the solenoid, and hit it with some clear-coat to stop the surface rust
on the metal parts - and stop leaving it outside in the rain.

You do NOT want to pull an "Honest Al Babin" and start painting all
over the insides. You want to see if something is starting to crack.

-- Bruce --