Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K[_3_] Jim K[_3_] is offline

Default electric double oben dead - suspect fan element but why whole lot dead?

On Nov 13, 4:53 pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
Jim K writes:

More info

Out with the multimeter and been around and about:-

every wire to the PCB has 240v except one, following this back it goes
to what I think is a thermostat/overheat stat in the top oven (not the
one I was trying to use) then on straight back to one of two
identical "Roxburgh EMC" 4 terminal "cubes" right next to the incoming
mains connectors.

The "other" of these two "Roxburgh EMC" things has 240v at 3
terminals, and zero volts at the fourth (as is connected to supply
neutral)

Now the Roxburgh EMC cube where the non powered wire leads back to
only has 240v on 2 terminals (supply live and one other), obviously
not 240v where the followed wire connects.

Interestingly the terminal where the followed wire connects, when
tested on the other Roxburgh EMC cube shows 240v

Does the fault lie here somewhere or is it a symptom/clue of something
else? what to check next?

You could check if there's 240v across the cabinet overheat stat,
which might indicate it's gone open-circuit even when cold.

thanks I'll check, tho see below....

Another thought, and we've been caught out by this a few times...
On my parents' Smeg oven, it remains completely dead after a power
interruption until you set the clock.

On mine now the LED clock is not visible to set ;) *everything* is
dead as if turned off at mains (tho power is getting to it OK)

Would it be reasonable to assume that the thing should have some sign
of life if a thermostat had failed? e.g. enabling the display/clock...

Each time in the past that the (usually fan) element has gone, it will
all work except no heat, this time not a peep from any part of it ;((

I fear expense coming on ;((

Cheers
Jim K