Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default electric double oben dead - suspect fan element but why whole lot dead?

In message , charles
writes
In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
Jim K wrote:
On Nov 12, 7:19 pm, geoff wrote:
In message
,
Jim K writes

Hiya
PCB fuse has 240v either side via me multimeter...

240V potential measused against what?

erm... the earthed casing

Repeat after me

"I AM A VERY NAUGHTY BOY AND I SHALL NEVER MEASURE MAINS VOLTAGES
WITH RESPECT TO EARTH AGAIN"

--
geoff

duly repeated ;))

ah the depth of my experience in this domain surfaces ;))

any suggestions how I can more usefully proceed?

You need to test against a neutral on the PCB.

but if everything is measuring 240v wrt earth, it implies there is no
neutral.

It means nothing of the sort

It just means that the measurement can't be trusted

Earth and Neutral are connected at the local substation.

Taking measurements with a high impedence meter wrt local earth will not
yield a trustworthy result

--
geoff