Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Drahn Paul Drahn is offline

Default Can this scrubber clean unfinished concrete floors

On 11/11/2011 5:51 PM, wrote:
On Nov 11, 12:18 pm, Paul wrote:

The concrete in both the store and my plant has/had the normal sealing
put on fresh concrete and nothing more. We need clean bare concrete to
control the ESD. All employees wear conductive foot straps on both feet,
as well as wrist strap grounded to the work area or machine. The bare
concrete is conductive enough to drain away any personally generated
static electricity.

Paul

Actually you do not have to have clean bare concrete. You can buy
conductive wax.

I worked at a facility where leg stats were required and after you put
on leg stats you had to use a continuity tester to verify the leg
stats were providing continuity from one leg to the other. As I
remember after the floors were waxed, they were tested for
conductivity, and then there was a monthly check of floor conductivity
to ensure they remained conductive. There were also scheduled tests
of the earth's conductivity and of the lightning masts.

Dan

Yes, each employee is required to test the foot stats each morning and
log in the results. A foot is placed on the tester and a conductive push
button switch is pressed. A light shows a good test. Guess it is a
meg-ohm meter. If I work out in the assembly area, I have to do the
same. Then each employee wears a jacket with conductive threads in it,
and then a wrist band is connected to the bench ground. All benches are
covered with conductive rubber matting.

I like the least cost method of controlling static electricity. Besides,
I don't own the building.

We primarily assemble printed circuit boards for various customers in
Oregon. One in California and one big one headquartered in Phoenix, AZ.
They have a final assembly shop about 2 miles from my plant, so, except
for engineering stuff, we work with the Redmond, OR shop.

We do complete box builds for a few customers, as well as repairs and
calibrations for them. We also build a few custom cables.

Most of the work is surface mount with some through hole components.
Most of the work, now, is using lead-free solder because the products
sometimes are exported to Europe.

Paul