Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Bruce Bruce is offline

Default Solar install (almost) complete

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 07:24:09 -0700, Doug Winterburn wrote
(in article om):

I was thinking that I wouldn't be affected by daytime power outages, but
they explained that when the inverter senses a power loss on the grid,
it shuts down also - wouldn't want to try to power the whole grid or zap
a technician working on it. I suppose if there was an automatic
transfer switch or such to isolate the system...

Yep, grid tie systems are required to disconnect when the grid goes down. The
system you are alluding to is typically set up to charge a bank of batteries.
When the batteries are are fully charged, the system starts feeding power to
the grid. Transfers from grid to inverter power for your house can be
automatic, but usually this is only done to a few dedicated outlets/circuits
(think refridgerators) since it is unlikely a system would have the oomph to
power an entire house (should you have large electric loads like
ovens/heaters running at the time).
-BR

- Doug