Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Can this scrubber clean unfinished concrete floors

In article ,

On 2011-11-10, Paul Drahn wrote:
Depends! Might be good if your floor has a finish of epoxy or something
similar. If just plain surface concrete, then a better method is what we
use.

Oiled sand is spread over a small portion of the floor and then swept up
with a large Costco type broom. Then the next portion is done. Sand and
trash is put in a can and when that is full, it goes in the dumpster.
Picks up all the dust and leaves a nice clean surface. Our janitor does
this once a week to our 6,000 sq.ft. less equipment, work stations, etc.

Paul

Paul, I am thinking, I can always sell this Wrangler wet unit at a
small profit. Wuld you say that I would be better served by a big
vacuum cleaner, without the wet part?

Any of the methods are pretty low cost to just try them out. A vacuum
always redestributes the finer dust that gets through the filters. So,
try a reasonable priced shop vacuum for a week or so. Even try wet
moping that will really get the dirt up, but is a lot of work.

We get the oiled sand from Granger. An 80 lb box is not that expensive
and lasts several months.

just don't give your wife the job of testing!

At first, I thought that you were joking when you mentioned oiled sand.

You are talking about this, right?

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/COT...Compound-3H401

It says "for painted surfaces and oil resistant floors". It would
seem that it would not work as well for unfinished concrete?

I think it's oiled sawdust (not sand). Unsealed concrete will get oily.

Joe Gwinn