Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default need more memory

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
I'm trying to run another app on my shop 'puter...

Its an HP D530 P4 with 512 memory. Lots more specs he
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q.../11632_na.html

When it boots it says DDR 266 and runs up to 512 on the memory test. I
pulled the stick and all it says is DDR 266, no other labels.

On New Egg, this is the closest I can find:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...20266%20pc2700

Will this work? Do different size sticks work together?

Karl

This is a good place to check, and sometimes to buy:
http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...rm%20 Factors

Those are high, I would check second-hand computer dealers for better prices
on used RAM. Supposedly memory should be matched for better performance,
though I've read that the improvement may be hard to see. I haven't seen a
problem mixing speeds and sizes. Faster memory will run at the speed of the
slowest stick or the bus speed. For example this PC has a 1G and a 512M
stick of PC2-5300 which would operate at 333MHz if on a faster bus, in here
they run at 266MHz.

These are good info tools to show you the hardware details.
http://download.cnet.com/HWiNFO32/30...-10437914.html
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

jsw