Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus30836 Ignoramus30836 is offline

Default Can this scrubber clean unfinished concrete floors

On 2011-11-10, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 19:32:23 -0600, Ignoramus19683

On 2011-11-09, Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) wrote:
On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 21:44:12 -0600, Ignoramus28358
wrote:

I have this scrubber

http://www.nss.com/prod_autoscrubber...er_3330_db.php

and I am wondering if it is suitable for cleaning concrete floors, or
should I just sell it.

Looks like it will, if it's nicely finished concrete - you'll chew up
the rubber squeegee blade pretty fast if there are a lot of rough
potholes and old anchor bolts sticking up. And you can't vacuum up
the water if it drains into an expansion crack.

Give the floor a once-over with a floor finishing grinder, and they
have self-leveling epoxy fillers that will fix the divots.

And you do want to seal the concrete first, so the cleaning water
doesn't sink in. They make several styles of sealant for that, or you
can use epoxy floor paint.

Bruce, I will use this warehouse for selling surplus equipment, not as
a shopping center. I think that it is too expensive to epoxy the
floor. I just wanted to keep it free of debris, excessive oil stains
etc.

A clear sealer or inexpensive floor paint will work fine for you, but
clean it well first. That'll be a challenge, but the scrubber will
save your butt. Clean it, dry it well for however long your sealer of
choice recommends, and then seal it.

I used white latex floor paint on my shop and love it. The floor had
already been sealed with a shiny film sealer, so the paint does scrape
off fairly easily, compared to epoxy, but it also covers again easily
and cheaply. The white color made the shop twice as bright. Pure white
walls, floor, and ceiling are great. The tools on shelves, lumber on
one wall, and cabinets on another break up the pure white feeling, but
the white really reflects light well. I recommend it on your ceiling
and beams there, too. A few upward mounted fluorescent fixtured would
add lots of ambient light for a very low cost.

Larry, do you have a forklift with cushion tires?