Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default 2.2 million without power, in the northeast - Time To Rethink?

On Wed, 9 Nov 2011 16:15:20 -0500, "John Simpson"

Also, does it make sense for local utilities, with aid from other utilities
depending upon the size of the disaster, to be expected to handle the
massive repair task. Maybe that should be done with a large regional pool
of equipment and people that's set up to get places fast.

They do things like that, but in the case of our CT power company,
they did not commit in advance because they did not want to pay for
standby if they were not needed.

What we know is that these disasters seem to be coming more frequently and
increasing numbers of people are being put at risk and hardship -- and it's
costing a lot of money. That says we should be thinking of better ways to
address the problem.

TKM

Think underground!

JAS

It has been talked about but is very expensive. Many new developments
are underground,but some existing poles look like a nightmare to re-do
with all the lines on them.

It is not just a matter of laying them in conduit. The wires produce
heat, rodent problems, digging problems, etc. I'd like to see what
the cost of it is and how long it would take to do.