Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default 2.2 million without power, in the northeast

wrote in :

"Stormin Mormon" writes:

I'm glad some folks shared. That's neighborly. During my
year 2003 power cut, one neighbor ran space heaters off a
generator.
I told him that was ineffective use of power.
Offered to wire his furnace, but he refused. You were kind
to offer, and your neighbor was wise to accept.

I never had access to a generator before but after a few hours
it occurred to me that a space heater was the wrong way to go.

My guess is that the pump on a hot water system takes a lot
less power than a space heater.

But, but , but ...
A generator would be fine, if the price wasn't so high. Moreover, those
gas generators are very noisy, require maintenance and a supply of fairly
fresh (and flammable) gasoline. A propane or NG generator would be
better on some of those aspects, but cost more.

Generator: $500-$1,000 depending on requirements, sales, etc.

So I bought a propane-fired space heater for ~$125 with a long line and a
filter for the propane. We should be able to withstand a 1-2 day absence
of heat with the 2 propane tanks we have. Moreover, propane refilling is
within a 5 min drive from my house, and doesn't require a power source
(maybe "their" register does, but maybe they'll let me just pay).

Mind you, I'm not going to hold my breath until the next power outage,
but I do know it'll come.

--
Best regards
Han