Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Nova Nova is offline

Default How do I figure board width on a segmented bowl ring?

On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 13:41:44 -0900, Kevin Miller
wrote:

On 11/09/2011 12:47 PM, jtpryan wrote:
Right, I have segments.exe that does a similar thing. What I need to figure though is the width I need in order to overlay the ring below enough that there won't be a gap.

Say for instance I want to build a bowl that has a 10" top diameter and is 3" high from the table it sits on. I want a graceful curve in to the bottom. How do I figure out how wide a board to use in each ring so that when assembled and placed over the ring below I know the overlap will be enough to allow me to turn it say 1/8" think without poking a hole in it? Maybe I'm just over thinking it and should go with boards that would definitely not have this problem and have a little more waste.

Graph paper or Woodturner Pro: http://www.woodturnerpro.com/ - works a
treat. Free for the first 30 days or something like that.

Give it a try, and if you want to keep doing segmented stuff it's worth
the price of admission. I downloaded it last year. Still need to
pay/register, but it's not the todo list...

...Kevin

There's is also Kevin Neeley's software for just under $20 at:

http://www.turnedwood.com/software.html
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA