Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] despen@verizon.net is offline

Default 2.2 million without power, in the northeast

Jim Yanik writes:

"Pete C." wrote in
.com:

My mother's place in CT went 7+ days without utility power. I got up
there Tuesday evening, cleared the trees from the driveway and got the
generator going. Spent the next couple days removing more trees /
branches and patching two holes in the roof where big branches hit.
About 10pm Sat evening a crew from MO was by and repaired the damaged
drop (snapped neutral), and a few hours later they had repaired enough
along the street to get power back on. All in all one of the nastier CT
storms in my 41 years of experience, but there have been similar in the
past so it's certainly not unprecedented.

Here in Florida,utilities trim trees away from power lines well before
hurricane season begins. Preparedness.

did Northeast utilities NOT expect winter storms to bring down tree
branches and down power lines?
After all,this was just an early storm. tree branches would have caused
troubles anyways,just later on.

I was out of power for 6 days (NJ).
Just last summer the town sent crews throughout the town removing
branches and trees near power lines.

Snow on trees with leaves and you have a first class disaster.

I took a walk and was impressed by how many people had generators
with power lines running over to neighbors houses.

My neighbor did the same for me. In turn I showed him how to
hook the generator to the furnace instead of the space heaters
he was using. Also bought the gas.

Our power was restored by Ohio Edison.

A good example of people helping other people.

--
Dan Espen