Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default 2.2 million without power, in the northeast

Jim Yanik wrote in
4:

Here in Florida,utilities trim trees away from power lines well before
hurricane season begins. Preparedness.

They do spmoe of that here in NJ. AAMOF, they had just severely (and in
a very ugly way) trimmed trees away from a major power transmission line
along Pollitt Drive and the railroad (diesel trains).

did Northeast utilities NOT expect winter storms to bring down tree
branches and down power lines?
After all,this was just an early storm. tree branches would have
caused troubles anyways,just later on.

Yes, and no. Almost all our trees were still in full leaf. The damage
was "solely" due to the trees unable to support the weight of the heavy
wet snow on the fully leafed branches.

BTW,I went without power for 7 days in Aug 2004,after Hurricane
Charlie. (in steamy Florida,90+ temps and humidity every day.
Other buildings in my apartment complex were without power for 30
days,they had a meter panel short out from water blown into it.

I'm not relishing being without power when it's hot and humid, but
without power when it is really cold scares me.

--
Best regards
Han