Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Porter Cable Drill Press

On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 07:43:50 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 06:39:30 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 11/8/2011 11:19 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 15:20:34 -0600, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 11/8/2011 3:13 PM, Dave wrote:
On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 14:16:25 -0600, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
I have a Delta DP that came with the laser and would not miss it if quit
working. Am I missing something here? Now I will admit that for coarse
locating I am ok with it but not for accurate repeated drilling.

Obviously, you feel that the lasers aren't reliable enough for
accurate repeated drilling. Would you use them if they were or are you
of the old school frame of mind ~ preferring the method you've always
had to use?

I think they are reliable but I have not yet seen one that you can get a
repeatable mark to say 1/32" of an inch. The lines are too coarse.
Like trying to measure 32nds" of an inch with a rule that has 1/32" wide
markings.

Here ya go, old man: http://goo.gl/K4Hv6
Now maybe you can see those 1/64 and RCH lines on the better tapes.

I don't have a problem seeing the markings, as long as they are not
under the wide laser beams.

Yeah, it wouldn't be bad if the lasers were the exact same width as
the blade, or started exactly on one side of the cut. I haven't liked
any of the lasers I've used on tools, either.

A 1/8" laser would be nice for a SCMS. The laser on my Bosch is on the left
side of the cut. If I put the mark exactly on the laser, the piece to the
left is the right size. Since I'm right-handed, my left is generally holding
the piece of interest; works out fine.