Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Porter Cable Drill Press

On 11/8/2011 7:11 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Nov 8, 4:24 pm, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

I have a Delta DP that came with the laser and would not miss it if quit
working. Am I missing something here? Now I will admit that for coarse
locating I am ok with it but not for accurate repeated drilling.

Of course (no pun) for some production or repeated setup I adjust the
fence, stop blocks or make a fixture. But even setting up those items
the laser helps me get them dead on. Also lots of my daily use is one
hole here and there and using a brad point bit and some pencil marks I
can nail the center like never before. Maybe it's just me but I always
had trouble getting the dill point to line up to marks and often had
to contact the wood before I could tell if I was lined up but with the
laser I find it much easier.

I guess my biggest complaint is when using a Forstner bit, the laser
does not reach the work at all with a moderately large bit unless it is
way up. Additionally I find it way to easy to knock the lasers out of
alignment. AND My marks tend to be relative narrow compared to the
width of the laser, and the laser hides the mark so I don't know if my
mark is centered under the laser line or off to one edge of the laser line.

Yup. That's my beef with the whole laser thing...too fat a line. It's
like marking a shoulder on a tenon with a crayon.

Thank you Robatoy! I think you actually understand the problem. LOL

Now I will say that the laser level, the tool that shoots a level line
around the perimeter of a room for putting up cabinets works well
enough, unless the floor sinks when you walk near the tripod... Uh
Swingman? ;~)