Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Porter Cable Drill Press

On 11/8/2011 11:59 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 14:16:25 -0600, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 11/8/2011 11:25 AM, SonomaProducts.com wrote:
I bought the 1HP Porter Cable drill press at Lowes for ~$300. Loving
it.

Can I say I love the laser that throws an X to mark the spot. This is
one gimick worth the time to keep working and calibrated.

Runs pretty smooth (rattles a bit like all non-gear head drill-
presses). Nice belt change setup and tensioner. Includes a light on a
flex arm which is real nice to have and the red laser still shows up
fine.

Did I say I love the X laser?

I have a Delta DP that came with the laser and would not miss it if quit
working. Am I missing something here? Now I will admit that for coarse
locating I am ok with it but not for accurate repeated drilling.

Perhaps yours isn't adjusted properly? The lasers on my Delta 18-900L align
perfectly over the range of the table. It takes a little work to dial them in
but once it's set up it's great.

My lasers align, they just are low resolution, I have made them as
narrow as possible according to the instructions.