Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Porter Cable Drill Press

On Nov 8, 4:24*pm, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

I have a Delta DP that came with the laser and would not miss it if quit
working. *Am I missing something here? *Now I will admit that for coarse
locating I am ok with it but not for accurate repeated drilling.

Of course (no pun) for some production or repeated setup I adjust the
fence, stop blocks or make a fixture. But even setting up those items
the laser helps me get them dead on. Also lots of my daily use is one
hole here and there and using a brad point bit and some pencil marks I
can nail the center like never before. Maybe it's just me but I always
had trouble getting the dill point to line up to marks and often had
to contact the wood before I could tell if I was lined up but with the
laser I find it much easier.

I guess my biggest complaint is when using a Forstner bit, the laser
does not reach the work at all with a moderately large bit unless it is
way up. *Additionally I find it way to easy to knock the lasers out of
alignment. *AND My marks tend to be relative narrow compared to the
width of the laser, and the laser hides the mark so I don't know if my
mark is centered under the laser line or off to one edge of the laser line.

Yup. That's my beef with the whole laser thing...too fat a line. It's
like marking a shoulder on a tenon with a crayon.