Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default Fingernail grind

On 11/07/2011 08:55 AM, Vic Baron wrote:
Is a fingernail grind the same as am Ellsworth grind?

More or less. A fingernail grind is usually associated with a spindle
gouge, whereas the Ellsworth grind more specifically refers to the
particular grind that the Ellsworth jig produces on a specific set of
bowl gouges. 5/8" IIRC. They share the characteristic that the wings
are ground back. A more generic term is "Irish grind" or as you say
below "side grind".

I've read of the advantages to the side grind but are the disadvantages?

You can cut a much wider shaving with the side grind if you use the side
rather than the tip. The advantage is it removes a lot of wood really
fast. The disadvantage is if you get a catch it'll likely be an ugly
one. It's an easy grind to control once you figure out how it wants to
cut, and it's a flexible grind - can be used in both a pushing or
pulling cut as well as shear scraping to good affect. You'll want to
experiment on scrap wood though to learn the ropes.

I have a few small detail gouges that were purchased with the fingernail
grind and was wondering if there'd be any benefit to putting that grind
on a 1/2" spindle gouge. Wondering if it would make hollowing out end
grain easier or harder.

I would.

Shifting gears - I'm trying to wrap my head around what I've read about
bowl gouges. I've read that using a spindle gouge as a bowl gouge could
break the gouge. I'm assuming we're talking about large pieces here not
the cups or small boxes that I would make. I'm also assuming that the
difference between hollowing end grain and hollowing face grain is
significant - or am I doing the typical newbie over think here?

I think Fred hit the nail on the head regarding spindle/roughing gouges.

There is a noticeable difference between cutting face grain and end
grain. It's a similar situation to planing face grain and end grain on
a board. Lots easier to plane face grain...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska