Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Vic Baron Vic Baron is offline

Default Fingernail grind

Is a fingernail grind the same as am Ellsworth grind?

I've read of the advantages to the side grind but are the disadvantages?

I have a few small detail gouges that were purchased with the fingernail
grind and was wondering if there'd be any benefit to putting that grind on a
1/2" spindle gouge. Wondering if it would make hollowing out end grain
easier or harder.

Shifting gears - I'm trying to wrap my head around what I've read about bowl
gouges. I've read that using a spindle gouge as a bowl gouge could break the
gouge. I'm assuming we're talking about large pieces here not the cups or
small boxes that I would make. I'm also assuming that the difference between
hollowing end grain and hollowing face grain is significant - or am I doing
the typical newbie over think here?

Thanx,

Vic

--
There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who
don't