Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default "GREAT STUFF" (not so great)

On Nov 4, 11:09*pm, wrote:
I always like to keep a can of "Great Stuff" on hand, in case I have
an uninvited guess appear in one of the buildings (as in mouse). *Mice
are common on farms (which this is). *If I find the point of entry at
1:00am, I want to plug the hole NOW, not tomorrow.

I had a can on the shelf and was doing some work in my tool shed. *It
was cold outside and I felt a draft. *Thats when I found there was an
leak right below the eaves. *I go and get my can of "Great Stuff" from
the house and prepare to fill that crack. *However, the can does not
work. *No matter how hard I push the trigger, nothing comes out. *I
remove the nozzle, and try to poke a piece of wire into the spout.
Put the nozzle back on the can and still nothing comes out. (Yes, this
is a brand new can). *Once again, I try and this time the can's spout
broke off.

It's 11pm so no stores are open, so I'm screwed till the next day.

When I got in the house, I decided to email the manufacturer, "Dow
Chemical Co.". *I go to the website on the can,www.dowgreatstuff.com
and send an email. *Nearly a week later, I get this reply:

----
"Dear (my name),

Thank you for contacting The Dow Chemical Company.

We are sorry to hear that our products did not work properly. It
sounds like the product purchased was defective or expired (check
bottom of can for expiration date). As with all items sold through
retailers, defective product should be returned to place of purchase
for exchange or refund.

Best regards,
(Name)"
----

Ahhhhh, duh!!!!!!
Like I didn't know about returning to the store......
Yea, it WAS defective, or it would have worked.....
And I dont remember where I bought it anyhow.
As for being expired, the month/year on the can was the current month
and year.

I have had other companies mail me replacement products several times.

But I guess Dow is too good for that. *Particularly since they are
such a huge company....

I WILL NOT buy their "Great Stuff" or any other Dow products in the
future. *There are other companies who make the same sort of product,
I'll give THEM my money from now on.

How cold was it. I had some cans out in the garage and they wouldnt
work either until I brought them in the house and let them warm up.

Jimmie