Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "GREAT STUFF" (not so great)

I always like to keep a can of "Great Stuff" on hand, in case I have
an uninvited guess appear in one of the buildings (as in mouse). Mice
are common on farms (which this is). If I find the point of entry at
1:00am, I want to plug the hole NOW, not tomorrow.

I had a can on the shelf and was doing some work in my tool shed. It
was cold outside and I felt a draft. Thats when I found there was an
leak right below the eaves. I go and get my can of "Great Stuff" from
the house and prepare to fill that crack. However, the can does not
work. No matter how hard I push the trigger, nothing comes out. I
remove the nozzle, and try to poke a piece of wire into the spout.
Put the nozzle back on the can and still nothing comes out. (Yes, this
is a brand new can). Once again, I try and this time the can's spout
broke off.

It's 11pm so no stores are open, so I'm screwed till the next day.

When I got in the house, I decided to email the manufacturer, "Dow
Chemical Co.". I go to the website on the can, www.dowgreatstuff.com
and send an email. Nearly a week later, I get this reply:

----
"Dear (my name),

Thank you for contacting The Dow Chemical Company.

We are sorry to hear that our products did not work properly. It
sounds like the product purchased was defective or expired (check
bottom of can for expiration date). As with all items sold through
retailers, defective product should be returned to place of purchase
for exchange or refund.

Best regards,
(Name)"
----

Ahhhhh, duh!!!!!!
Like I didn't know about returning to the store......
Yea, it WAS defective, or it would have worked.....
And I dont remember where I bought it anyhow.
As for being expired, the month/year on the can was the current month
and year.

I have had other companies mail me replacement products several times.

But I guess Dow is too good for that. Particularly since they are
such a huge company....

I WILL NOT buy their "Great Stuff" or any other Dow products in the
future. There are other companies who make the same sort of product,
I'll give THEM my money from now on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 4:09*am, wrote:
[...]

Why do you live on a farm if you are worried by mice?

Nothing works100%. But now you've buggered it up with ill advised
tinkering there is no prospect of returning it.
Why expect them send you a replacement product by mail? There are too
many crooks about to do that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 12:09*am, wrote:

And I dont remember where I bought it anyhow.
As for being expired, the month/year on the can was the current month
and year.

I have had other companies mail me replacement products several times.

Yeah, you are one of those nit-picky consumers that drive
the price up for everyone else by bitching when something
you bought and kept on a shelf for three years doesn't work
all the way up to the last day of the month printed on the can...

Maybe if you stored the stuff better or actually used things
like within a few months of buying them you wouldn't have
so many problems... Since you can't remember where you
bought it from that means you are either forgetful or have
had it so long you have lost any reasonable claim to bitch
about it not working perfectly -- the foam cured in your can...

If you don't remember where you bought something from, then
how do you expect the manufacturer to help you, most of the
"replacements" today require submittal of some proof of purchase
so that it can be determined whether you bought the item through
a legitimate vendor rather than borderline quality control cast offs
which are liquidated/disposed of through dollar store or discount
chains rather than being wasteful and being destroyed...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
rant snipped

Ahhhhh, duh!!!!!!

If you have this reaction to every little snag in your life,
you'll soon not have anything worthy to buy.
Stuff happens...get over it!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've had bad cans of Great Stuff. But, they were a couple
years old. Not heard of a brand new one going bad. Sorry to
hear that.

I guess Dow's out a customer. Please let us know if you find
another brand of expanding foam that works better.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 07:21:31 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I've had bad cans of Great Stuff. But, they were a couple
years old. Not heard of a brand new one going bad. Sorry to
hear that.

I guess Dow's out a customer. Please let us know if you find
another brand of expanding foam that works better.

Losing a customer hurts and can cause them financial strain. I'm
selling off my Dow stocks NOW..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in :

[...]

How would this have resolved your issue at 11pm vs returning it to the
store?

Anyway, there may be issues mailing a pressurized can via USPS or UPS.

But I guess Dow is too good for that. Particularly since they are
such a huge company....

I WILL NOT buy their "Great Stuff" or any other Dow products in the
future. There are other companies who make the same sort of product,
I'll give THEM my money from now on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 08:20:49 -0400, Jim Elbrecht

I always like to keep a can of "Great Stuff" on hand, in case I have

-snip-
the house and prepare to fill that crack. However, the can does not
work. No matter how hard I push the trigger, nothing comes out. I

I always keep 2 cans for that very reason. And I never just do a
single job. When I see a spot that can use some, I make a note of it
and write it on a card placed between my 2 cans. When there is
enough to use a whole can, I go to work. If the first can fails- I
have a backup. IME about one can in 6 is a dud.

The good news is, it is worth $4 to see the mess a full, but
apparently worthless can makes when you shoot it with a pellet gun.

Hint-- backup 20-30 feet, and don't have anything you like within a
20 foot diameter. you can triple the 'mess zone' by suspending the
can on a 3-4' string.

Jim

Buy the "hardware store inhouse brand" stuff - the foam ingredients
are made by DOW - and often the can is even filled by them, but you
deal with Ace, Home Hardware, Canadian Tire, or whoever - and you can
NOT forget where you bought it because it has their logo on it.
Usually about 20% cheaper too.

If you think you are saving money by buying from the BORG or other
"big box" stores you are stuck with national brand and guessing where
you bought it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 10:07*am, wrote:
[...]

On the other hand, most Borgs will take back any product they sell
even without a receipt. HD for example will simply issue store credit.

As long as it scans into their system, they'll issue a refund.

Since HD sells Great Stuff, the OP could have "returned" it there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I learned a LONG time ago, when you use a can of Great Stuff, use the whole
can, or toss the left overs. It seldom works the second time. And there
are faulty cans, which one can return to the Borg. But I must admit, I will
try one on a string with a .22 lr hollow point.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 22:09:26 -0600, wrote:

I WILL NOT buy their "Great Stuff" or any other Dow products in the
future.

Bring 'em to their knees. Show no mercy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in news:64vab794uo7l949a84mfr5bst3jr2kfhtu@
4ax.com:

On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 22:09:26 -0600, wrote:

I WILL NOT buy their "Great Stuff" or any other Dow products in the
future.

Bring 'em to their knees. Show no mercy.

"You betcha!"

F'n swindling Enronicans is what they are.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 11:13:18 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 22:09:26 -0600, wrote:

I WILL NOT buy their "Great Stuff" or any other Dow products in the
future.

Bring 'em to their knees. Show no mercy.

Fill their knickers with the stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Hint-- backup 20-30 feet, and don't have anything you like within a
20 foot diameter. you can triple the 'mess zone' by suspending the
can on a 3-4' string.

Jim

I was with you until the part about the string. What's critical about the
string dimension being 3-4' given there's no reference point?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Operation Great Stuff! The time is now. The action is
essential. We must all rally to the cause!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Oren" wrote in message
On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 22:09:26 -0600, wrote:

I WILL NOT buy their "Great Stuff" or any other Dow
products in the
future.

Bring 'em to their knees. Show no mercy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 16:00:28 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Operation Great Stuff! The time is now. The action is
essential. We must all rally to the cause!

Wrong, you Occupy Top Poster! Now there.

We should celebrate Platypus Day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Miklos" wrote

Same happened to me, no receipt. Tried to return it to Lowz and they said
they don't sell that size can. Took it to the borg and they happily gave
me a new can.

I've had many cases of trying to return something at Lowz, and they claim
not to sell that. My memory is bad, but I can remember sometimes where I
bought stuff. HD is much more lenient, hence, I spend more at HD. Except
they have crappy! lumber. Lowz is better in that aspect. Plus, Lowz has a
little more selection of a little higher quality items.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 12:09*am, wrote:
I always like to keep a can of "Great Stuff" on hand, in case I have
an uninvited guess appear in one of the buildings (as in mouse). *Mice
are common on farms (which this is). *If I find the point of entry at
1:00am, I want to plug the hole NOW, not tomorrow.

I find it amusing when people talk about closing rodent entry points.
They are there because they are being fed. It isn't like they spend
all
their time visiting the rest of the community. Rodents will generally
live
their whole life within 30 feet of their food source.
And if you find an entry, that's the time to use a black light to see
where
they are going, and why.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 17:28:07 -0700 (PDT), Michael B
wrote:

Rodents will generally live their whole life within 30 feet of their food source.

I found this exact same thing with criminals. Creatures of habit as we
say...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 12:47:00 -0700, mike wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Hint-- backup 20-30 feet, and don't have anything you like within a
20 foot diameter. you can triple the 'mess zone' by suspending the
can on a 3-4' string.

Jim

I was with you until the part about the string. What's critical about the
string dimension being 3-4' given there's no reference point?

It isn't critical. It just gives the can some 'swinging room'.
Contrary to what I thought when I shot my first one, it doesn't just
squirt out. The first one was resting on the ground and jumped all
over a 3-4 foot circle spraying in very direction.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 7:28*pm, Michael B wrote:
On Nov 5, 12:09*am, wrote:

I always like to keep a can of "Great Stuff" on hand, in case I have
an uninvited guess appear in one of the buildings (as in mouse). *Mice
are common on farms (which this is). *If I find the point of entry at
1:00am, I want to plug the hole NOW, not tomorrow.

I find it amusing when people talk about closing rodent entry points.
They are there because they are being fed. It isn't like they spend
all
their time visiting the rest of the community. Rodents will generally
live
their whole life within 30 feet of their food source.
And if you find an entry, that's the time to use a black light to see
where
they are going, and why.

How does the black light show you where they are going?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 1:06*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I learned a LONG time ago, when you use a can of Great Stuff, use the whole
can, or toss the left overs. *It seldom works the second time. *And there
are faulty cans, which one can return to the Borg. *But I must admit, I will
try one on a string with a .22 lr hollow point.

Steve

It's not too tough a thing to learn...I quote from the can:

"GREAT STUFF can seal itself shut. One time use should be expected."

Of course, it also says:

"If product does not flow easily, do not force product from can."

How exactly would one *force* the product from the can if one wanted
to? You pull the trigger and it either flows or it doesn't. It's not
like you can get behind the product and push it through the
applicator.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 8:06*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Tony Miklos" wrote

Same happened to me, no receipt. *Tried to return it to Lowz and they said
they don't sell that size can. *Took it to the borg and they happily gave
me a new can.

I've had many cases of trying to return something at Lowz, and they claim
not to sell that. *My memory is bad, but I can remember sometimes where I
bought stuff. *HD is much more lenient, hence, I spend more at HD. *Except
they have crappy! lumber. *Lowz is better in that aspect. *Plus, Lowz has a
little more selection of a little higher quality items.

Steve

I'm not sure what you mean by "HD is much more lenient".

Either the bar code is in their system and they'll take it back or
it's not and they won't. Same with Lowes.

If I'm turned away from the Returns desk at Lowes or HD, I simply take
the item to the other one.

What one doesn't take back the other does because I either bought it
at one or the other.

BTW...here's an example of how HD isn't so lenient.

A few years ago I bought one of these Husky painters tools, which
comes with a lifetime guarantee:

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/paint/p...ool-75845.html

The tool comes with 2 screwdriver bits clipped into the handle.

Last week I cracked the blade while prying something with it, so I
took it with me to trade in the next time I went to HD.

When I brought my old (and very beat up) tool along with a new one to
the Returns desk to swap them, the clerk took the screwdriver bits out
of the new tool because my old one didn't have the bits. She put the
bits into the handle off my old tool before putting the "defective"
label on it.

Did she really think I was exchanging the old cracked one for a new
one just to rip off a couple of screwdriver bits? I just chuckled...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 21:15:55 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

How exactly would one *force* the product from the can if one wanted
to? You pull the trigger and it either flows or it doesn't. It's not
like you can get behind the product and push it through the
applicator.

Squeeze the can in a vice for starters.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Nov 5, 1:06*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I learned a LONG time ago, when you use a can of Great Stuff, use the whole
can, or toss the left overs. *It seldom works the second time. *And there
are faulty cans, which one can return to the Borg. *But I must admit, I will
try one on a string with a .22 lr hollow point.

Steve

It's not too tough a thing to learn...I quote from the can:

"GREAT STUFF can seal itself shut. One time use should be expected."

Of course, it also says:

"If product does not flow easily, do not force product from can."

How exactly would one *force* the product from the can if one wanted
to? You pull the trigger and it either flows or it doesn't. It's not
like you can get behind the product and push it through the
applicator.

Drill the can or nozzle. Not a good idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Miklos wrote:

Same happened to me, no receipt. Tried to return it to Lowz and they
said they don't sell that size can. Took it to the borg and they
happily gave me a new can.

For all the grief I like to give Home Despot, I have had nothing but
exceptional customer service when returning anything to their store, and
unlike Lowe's, they actually speak English.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Rodents will generally live their whole life within 30 feet of their
food source.

I found this exact same thing with criminals. Creatures of habit as we
say...

Aren't you being redundant?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Heat the can.

Drill or punch hole in the can.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

How exactly would one *force* the product from the can if
one wanted
to? You pull the trigger and it either flows or it doesn't.
It's not
like you can get behind the product and push it through the
applicator.

Squeeze the can in a vice for starters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 4, 11:09*pm, wrote:
[...]

How cold was it. I had some cans out in the garage and they wouldnt
work either until I brought them in the house and let them warm up.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Nov 5, 1:06*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I learned a LONG time ago, when you use a can of Great Stuff, use the whole
can, or toss the left overs. *It seldom works the second time. *And there
are faulty cans, which one can return to the Borg. *But I must admit, I will
try one on a string with a .22 lr hollow point.

Steve

It's not too tough a thing to learn...I quote from the can:

"GREAT STUFF can seal itself shut. One time use should be expected."

Of course, it also says:

"If product does not flow easily, do not force product from can."

How exactly would one *force* the product from the can if one wanted
to? You pull the trigger and it either flows or it doesn't. It's not
like you can get behind the product and push it through the
applicator.

Drill the can or nozzle. *Not a good idea.

IMHO that does not qualify as "forcing the product from the can".

All that might do is open a new pathway for the product to follow on
it's own, but there is no "forcing" on the part of the user.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

How exactly would one *force* the product from the can if one wanted
to? You pull the trigger and it either flows or it doesn't. It's not
like you can get behind the product and push it through the
applicator.

Squeeze the can in a vice for starters.

Right...and then carry the foam to the window and pack it in by hand.

Oh wait, did you mean to carry the vise and can to the window, hold it
up and turn the handle, all while moving the nozzle along the gap you
are trying to fill?

Let me know how that works out for you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Nov 2011 06:43:02 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

wrote:

On Nov 5, 1:06*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

^^^^ The key words.

All that might do is open a new pathway for the product to follow on
it's own, but there is no "forcing" on the part of the user.

You're doing an unnatural act. You're "forcing" the issue. Don't like it?
Sue someone who makes great stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Nov 5, 1:06 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I learned a LONG time ago, when you use a can of Great Stuff, use the
whole
can, or toss the left overs. It seldom works the second time. And there
are faulty cans, which one can return to the Borg. But I must admit, I
will
try one on a string with a .22 lr hollow point.

Steve

It's not too tough a thing to learn...I quote from the can:

"GREAT STUFF can seal itself shut. One time use should be expected."

Of course, it also says:

"If product does not flow easily, do not force product from can."

How exactly would one *force* the product from the can if one wanted
to? You pull the trigger and it either flows or it doesn't. It's not
like you can get behind the product and push it through the
applicator.

reply: Vices, hammers, clamps, stomping. Lots of ways. But they all would
have consequences..................

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

How exactly would one *force* the product from the can if one wanted
to? You pull the trigger and it either flows or it doesn't. It's not
like you can get behind the product and push it through the
applicator.

Squeeze the can in a vice for starters.

It should squirt at least that far. Maybe set up the vise close to the
target?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

wrote:

How exactly would one *force* the product from the can if one wanted
to? You pull the trigger and it either flows or it doesn't. It's not
like you can get behind the product and push it through the
applicator.

Squeeze the can in a vice for starters.

That's buuuuuuuuullying these days.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Nov 5, 1:06Â*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I learned a LONG time ago, when you use a can of Great Stuff, use the whole
can, or toss the left overs. Â*It seldom works the second time. Â*And there
are faulty cans, which one can return to the Borg. Â*But I must admit, I will
try one on a string with a .22 lr hollow point.

Steve

It's not too tough a thing to learn...I quote from the can:

"GREAT STUFF can seal itself shut. One time use should be expected."

Of course, it also says:

"If product does not flow easily, do not force product from can."

How exactly would one *force* the product from the can if one wanted
to? You pull the trigger and it either flows or it doesn't. It's not
like you can get behind the product and push it through the
applicator.

Squeeze like a giant toothpaste tube
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

How exactly would one *force* the product from the can if one wanted
to? You pull the trigger and it either flows or it doesn't. It's not
like you can get behind the product and push it through the
applicator.

Squeeze the can in a vice for starters.

Right...and then carry the foam to the window and pack it in by hand.

Oh wait, did you mean to carry the vise and can to the window, hold it
up and turn the handle, all while moving the nozzle along the gap you
are trying to fill?

Let me know how that works out for you.

If you compress the can, the pressure increases. Is that difficult to
understand? Of course, it has to compress, not just re-shaped the
same volume.