Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "GREAT STUFF" (not so great)

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 08:20:49 -0400, Jim Elbrecht

I always like to keep a can of "Great Stuff" on hand, in case I have

-snip-
the house and prepare to fill that crack. However, the can does not
work. No matter how hard I push the trigger, nothing comes out. I

I always keep 2 cans for that very reason. And I never just do a
single job. When I see a spot that can use some, I make a note of it
and write it on a card placed between my 2 cans. When there is
enough to use a whole can, I go to work. If the first can fails- I
have a backup. IME about one can in 6 is a dud.

The good news is, it is worth $4 to see the mess a full, but
apparently worthless can makes when you shoot it with a pellet gun.

Hint-- backup 20-30 feet, and don't have anything you like within a
20 foot diameter. you can triple the 'mess zone' by suspending the
can on a 3-4' string.

Jim

Buy the "hardware store inhouse brand" stuff - the foam ingredients
are made by DOW - and often the can is even filled by them, but you
deal with Ace, Home Hardware, Canadian Tire, or whoever - and you can
NOT forget where you bought it because it has their logo on it.
Usually about 20% cheaper too.

If you think you are saving money by buying from the BORG or other
"big box" stores you are stuck with national brand and guessing where
you bought it.