Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Denver Collects Fines On Drivers Who Stop At Red Lights

On 2011-11-04, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You've never crossed the line?

(sigh) Yeah Ed, I have.

I also occasionally exceed the speed limit, even with the cruise
control engaged, and I sometimes park further than 18" from the curb
and have even been known to let my parking meter expire (gasp!). But,
it's damn rare cuz I treat driving as a full-time job requiring my
full focus, not a sideline activity requiring only occasional
attention, like so many other drivers. And, if it should occur, I got
no bitch if I get nailed, do I?

A tailgater or short yellow lights are bogus excuses. If yer paying
attention and know yer business, you slow down even further back from
the stop line or pull over to let the jerk pass you. You should also
know where the short yellows are or at least assume that one might
occur. Anticipating poor drivers and bad conditions is part of being
a good driver.

These days, most pedestrian lights here have a countdown, and yellow happens
immediately after the count on most of them. You have plenty of warning of
exactly when you will have to stop, and therefore, any excuse is only an excuse.
I really like this change. It allows me to plan my motion, and probably save
gas.