Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Aches and pains

Decades ago, when I had a "dry socket" after a wisdom tooth extraction
(and the worst pain I've ever experienced), the oral surgeon prescribed
some Percodan. After taking it, I wasn't bothered by the pain, even
though I still felt it; however, I was very bothered by the
light-headedness and general sense of weirdness. I stopped taking it
and went back to the most effective pain reliever in my experience, a
small snack followed by 2 aspirin and a stiff shot of bourbon.

Whatever works in that particular circumstances. I only had percodan once
when I stuck a tie chain hook through my hand. Good thing my hands were
very cold at the time, or that could have hurt. ;-) It darn sure hurt
later when it warmed up.

As mentioned in a previous thread, hydrocodone has ceased to work for me,
and they have me on an advancing regimen of new stuff until they can get me
stabilized. I'm now in the pain management area of doctorhood. It is a
surprising area of medicine, different from all the others in that it is low
key, and the screening process is extensive to get into that program. Guess
druggies use it in a lot of places to get drugs, and several states have
become epidemic in overdose deaths of obviously healthy people who have the
money to get huge amounts of pain meds, which they then sell. One pill goes
for up to $80 on the black market. The last rx I was prescribed, it took
the pharmacy a week to get it. Some new stuff. I go tomorrow to pick it
up. Extended release stuff.

The main thing I can say is that it has affected my sense of taste after all
these years.

But, I'm still my happy former gregarious old self ................

Steve