Mikey Darden

Default table saw adjustment: how anal?

snip a whole lotta stuff about table saw alignment

Jeeeesh, Doug and Bob! What a mess! This is like watching two uncles go
after each other at a family gathering. All the other family members know
that one uncle made a goof and is trying to cover his tracks while the uncle
that is "right" just keeps prying for submission. Meanwhile, the family
forgets what started the argument in the first place.

I think a more valid point to argue is whether there is slop between the
miter track and the runner. Or a better argument: Using a pencil as a
precise measurement instrument? How much graphite you think wears off each
time the tip touches the blade or a feeler gauge? I'm sure a 0.01" or twelve
could be lost in that process. The original question dealt with how anal
should adjustment be. I feel you cannot be too anal until you use a more
solid standard of instrument. A stick, threaded rod, knitting needle, etc.
Yes, even one of those fancy aligner kits, if that makes you feel better.

For table saw adjustments, however, I have found that whether I used feeler
gauges and a dowel or a dial caliper on a slide, it did not make a hill of
beans difference. Not enough to make a pot of soup, anyways.

C Ya,
Mikey

---