Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Aches and pains

On 11/3/2011 11:41 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 3 Nov 2011 21:39:33 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I'll admit, I've never heard of that. Is it Rx?

Voltaren (diclofenac) works for me (arthritis)
A generic is also pretty cheap.

It is Rx now but it is supposed to be coming off. I have some nasty
inflammatory arthritis similar but not RA and this was the magic
potion, after lots of misses and thousands of dollars of doctor visits
(X rays, MRIs etc). This and a good physical therapist was worth more
than everything else I endured.

I really only take them when I am having a problem.

A good physical therapist for back problems is probably the best choice
one can make to start with...should be the first choice once the problem
is deemed stable and not at risk to worsen. Folks who want someone else
to fix their ailment, without doing their part, suffer for that
choice...obesity kills, for a lot of reasons. Abdominal muscles are a
very important part of back function and support...when abd. muscles are
weak and pushed way out, it's kind of like building a house with broken
studs in the front wall and adjoining wall...something has to give, and
it will.

I had a client in case management once who ruptured a disc at work...no
doubt about what had happened and she had acute neuro problems due to
pressure on nerve. Got her to ER and then neurosurgeon. After surgery,
when she was ready for rehab, the doc called me to ask whether we would
authorize a YMCA membership for her so she could swim every day.
Patient was compliant and responsible, and he wanted to save us a few
bucks. I didn't say "yes", I said, "Hell, yes". She recovered
completely with no problems. OTOH, I would spend a lot more sometimes
to get people to the best and most appropriate treatment. Cut $100k out
of the worker comp budget first year (1/5) getting people to good docs
and away from the local ortho mill ) Good deal of personal risk in
that and a couple of other jobs; no regrets.