Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Gear puller for DC cordless drill motor gear?

A short section of heavy wall tubing (round or rectangular) can make up the
frame/body of a small puller, by adding a slot at one side, and a tapped
hole located 180 degrees from the slot.
I've seen small round frames that have a flat cut from the OD where the slot
is located to allow the "jaws" (now tapered) to fit behind a gear with very
little clearance space behind it.

A locking shaft collar (setscrew type) will make a sturdy frame, and already
has a tapped hole.

Add a screw to fit the tapped hole.. bazinga, a small gear puller/miniature
screw press.

Filing/grinding the tip of the screw, or better yet, reducing the diameter
of it to slightly smaller than the motor shaft size in a lathe, and the gear
will pull off almost effortlessly.
If the fabricated frame is durable, it may be worthwhile to make more screws
with other tip sizes for other purposes.

--
WB

"John Doe" wrote in message
eb.com...
I am trying to make a gear puller for my Bosch 36 V cordless drill
motor. I must use that motor with a different gear. A DeWalt 18 V
right angle drill motor gear will be used in its place.

I would really rather buy a gear puller. Is there anything for
pulling small DC motor gears off?

If not. Is there an easy way to make a small gear puller like
that?

Thanks.