Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default How to connect copper to PVC?

On Nov 1, 5:31*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Oren" wrote in message

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 09:26:29 -0700, "walther"
wrote:

What is the best way - without soldering - to connect a 3/4" rigid copper
pipe *to 3/4" PVC 40?
+***

SharkBite® Push-Fit Fittings

A Connection System For Copper, CTS CPVC and PEX Pipe

The SharkBite® fittings line presents a revolutionary solution to
connecting water distribution pipe. Our SharkBite® Push-Fit Fittings
are the fastest, easiest way to join copper, CTS CPVC and PEX pipe in
any combination. With no soldering, clamps, unions or glue. The line
includes more than 130 different fittings in a variety of sizes.
Certified to 200 psi and 200°F (93°C).

http://sharkbite.rapidfire.com.au/usa/en/products/push-fit-products/p....

The first time I saw Shark Bite fittings, it was like "This is a dream,
right?" *High priced crap! *"Oh, not to worry, full money back guarantee."

Tried it on the little test pieces they had there, and I was suspicious.
THIS WAS TOO EASY!

I had to fix 5 burst pipes under a mountain cabin, four of them in very
tight spaces. *Crawl spaces. *Get under there and work at arm length spaces.

When I was introduced to them by the guy at Big Orange, I was highly
skeptical. *I got some, and used them, and fixed all my problems in 1/10 of
the time it would have taken. *And no fire sweating fittings under a wood
cabin with leaves a foot thick all over, and in positions that would have
been difficult for a contortionist.

Plain and simple, if you haven't tried them, look at them.

Coming from a person who is highly skeptical about everything in life, they
work and are worth the money, and will make the job sooooooooooo much
simpler. *Lots of places where sweating is dangerous, can't get in there,
stud's too tight, can't do this or that ..................... SHARK BITE!
Copper to pex to pvc to copper to pex, it all just fits together if the OD
is the same. *It's so simple, it makes stupid people feel guilty. *(Or at
least in my case.)

The repairs are going on three seasons old now, a concern I had of them,
whether or not they'd last. *But even if they just last five years, I'd
happily replace with them again just for the convenience and safety aspect
of the job.

YMMV, and all that stuff ..................

Steve- Hide quoted text -

"Copper to pex to pvc to copper to pex, it all just fits together
if the OD is the same."

SharkBite makes "reducing fittings" so the OD does not have to be the
same.

http://www.sharkbite.com/usa/en/prod...h-fit-fittings

My favorite use of a SharkBite was when I turned off the water to the
house, cut out a section of pipe, slapped a SharkBite cap on the end
of the live section and turned the water back on - all before the
commercial was over and without anyone in the house knowing I had shut
off the water, including my wife who was cooking dinner in the
kitchen.