Old October 31st 11, 04:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to connect copper to PVC?

What is the best way - without soldering - to connect a 3/4" rigid copper
pipe to 3/4" PVC 40?

If there is no good way, what do I need to buy to make a solder joint?

Thank you

Walter--
www.rationality.net

Old October 31st 11, 04:37 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 31, 12:26*pm, "walther" wrote:
What is the best way - without soldering - to connect a 3/4" rigid copper
pipe *to 3/4" PVC 40?

If there is no good way, what do I need to buy to make a solder joint?

Thank you

Walter--www.rationality.net

Check out SharkBite connectors, available at all plumbing stores and
most Home Centers.

Cut...Puch...Done

http://www.sharkbite.com/usa/en/applications
Old October 31st 11, 04:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 09:26:29 -0700, "walther"
wrote:

What is the best way - without soldering - to connect a 3/4" rigid copper
pipe to 3/4" PVC 40?
+***

SharkBite® Push-Fit Fittings

A Connection System For Copper, CTS CPVC and PEX Pipe

The SharkBite® fittings line presents a revolutionary solution to
connecting water distribution pipe. Our SharkBite® Push-Fit Fittings
are the fastest, easiest way to join copper, CTS CPVC and PEX pipe in
any combination. With no soldering, clamps, unions or glue. The line
includes more than 130 different fittings in a variety of sizes.
Certified to 200 psi and 200°F (93°C).

http://sharkbite.rapidfire.com.au/usa/en/products/push-fit-products/push-fit-fittings

Old October 31st 11, 05:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Oct 31, 12:26*pm, "walther" wrote:
What is the best way - without soldering - to connect a 3/4" rigid copper
pipe *to 3/4" PVC 40?

If there is no good way, what do I need to buy to make a solder joint?

Thank you

Walter--www.rationality.net

as others have said, sharkbite ought to make a fitting that will turn
a plain copper pipe into a male 3/4" NPT then use a PVC FPT to glue
socket fitting, continue from there.

Personally I'd be tempted to just solder the one fitting onto the
copper rather than spending the $$$ for sharkbite, but then again I
have all the tools and supplies. If you need to buy all that stuff
and this is a one-off job the sharkbite starts to look like the most
economical solution.

nate
Old October 31st 11, 05:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Best way would be to glue a female adapter on the pvc then you could screw
in a copper adder and carry on or vice versa solder a female adapter on the
copper then screw in a pvc adaper and carry on with the pvc pipe

Old October 31st 11, 06:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair
SRN SRN is offline

"walther" wrote in message
What is the best way - without soldering - to connect a 3/4" rigid copper
pipe to 3/4" PVC 40?

Genova makes one:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_22647-322-53...pvc&facetInfo=

Old October 31st 11, 07:13 PM posted to alt.home.repair
SRN SRN is offline

"walther" wrote in message
What is the best way - without soldering - to connect a 3/4" rigid copper
pipe to 3/4" PVC 40?

If there is no good way, what do I need to buy to make a solder joint?

Disregard my last post. You said PVC to copper (not CPVC). Here are some
transition fitings:

http://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?pr...-Pipe-Adapters

Old October 31st 11, 07:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair

don &/or Lucille wrote:
Best way would be to glue a female adapter on the pvc then you could
screw in a copper adder and carry on or vice versa solder a female
adapter on the copper then screw in a pvc adaper and carry on with
the pvc pipe "walther" wrote in message

Don't use metal Male threaded fittings into Female PVC. The PVC will expand or
split, resulting in leaks. The reverse is better.

Old October 31st 11, 07:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 31, 4:26*pm, "walther" wrote:
What is the best way - without soldering - to connect a 3/4" rigid copper
pipe *to 3/4" PVC 40?

If there is no good way, what do I need to buy to make a solder joint?

Thank you

Walter--www.rationality.net

See if you can find a compression fitting that will fit/can be adapted
to fit both.
If it is a pressure joint you will need an insert in the PVC pipe to
stop it collapsing as you tighten the compression nut.
Old October 31st 11, 08:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"don &/or Lucille" wrote in
:

Best way would be to glue a female adapter on the pvc then you could
screw in a copper adder and carry on or vice versa solder a female
adapter on the copper then screw in a pvc adaper and carry on with the
pvc pipe "walther" wrote in message
What is the best way - without soldering - to connect a 3/4" rigid
copper pipe to 3/4" PVC 40?

If there is no good way, what do I need to buy to make a solder
joint?

Thank you

Walter--
www.rationality.net

the only proper way is to solder a threaded fitting on the copper pipe,then
screw on the proper PVC adapter,and glue up your PVC pipe network to that
adapter.

you need a propane or MAPP torch,flux-core plumbing solder(no lead!!),emery
paper to clean the solder joint areas,and maybe a heat shield if there's
wood or a wall close by.

The folks at Home Depot or Lowes ought to be able to show you how to do
this properly. they might even teach a class on it.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik