Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Forklift leaking brake fluid from right brake drum

Karl Townsend wrote:

(...)

2nd on the power bleeder, and any DOT fluid.

I did my truck a couple years ago, It was a stone bitch to get the
drums off, they had rusted in place. Crowbar and BFH time.

Which reminds me of something I wish I knew much earlier!

Drums can be a pain to remove even if you have sufficient
gap and they can be impossible to remove without the gap.

http://tinyurl.com/45xfrft
http://tinyurl.com/44w2ate

You will want to turn each adjuster so that you increase
the gap between the shoes and the inside of the drum
*before* you attempt to remove the drum.

You would poke your adjustment tool through the back of
the mounting plate and rotate the star wheel down a few times.

If your drum has threaded removal holes, you can
then put bolts in them to pull the drum off the axle.

--Winston --Parking brake OFF.