Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Forklift leaking brake fluid from right brake drum

Ignoramus18836 wrote:
I brought in an outdoor forklift on pneumatic tires. It is not the one
that I bought for $500, but another one.

This outdoor one, runs good, but has nonworking brakes. Quick
investigation shows that brake system is full of air, and that brake
fluid is leaking from the right brake drum (I can see it leaking).

This is a Cat V50B LPG powered forklift.

Am I correct in assuming that a repair is simple, though not
necessarily easy, and likely amounts to replacing or fixing the brake
cylinder os some such?

Likely needs a flush and fill of the entire system
and rebuilt wheel cylinders all around

Check the brake fluid. Is it clean and
clear or does it have a green tinge?
The green is likely algae and needs to
be flushed out. I found algae in the
clutch cylinder on my truck. I flushed
the heck out of the system then replaced
both the master and clutch cylinders.
The parts were inexpensive.
Now the master cylinder is nice and clear.
The clutch works much more linearly and easily.

Recommend purchase a power bleeder.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MVP-0108
It will save you a *lot* of time and aggravation.
I spent my life doing it the old way and the
power bleeder makes the job almost a pleasure.

--Winston