Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default How to connect copper to PVC?

On Oct 31, 1:19*pm, N8N wrote:
On Oct 31, 12:26*pm, "walther" wrote:

What is the best way - without soldering - to connect a 3/4" rigid copper
pipe *to 3/4" PVC 40?

If there is no good way, what do I need to buy to make a solder joint?

Thank you

Walter--www.rationality.net

as others have said, sharkbite ought to make a fitting that will turn
a plain copper pipe into a male 3/4" NPT then use a PVC FPT to glue
socket fitting, continue from there.

Personally I'd be tempted to just solder the one fitting onto the
copper rather than spending the $$$ for sharkbite, but then again I
have all the tools and supplies. *If you need to buy all that stuff
and this is a one-off job the sharkbite starts to look like the most
economical solution.

nate

It might also matter *where* the fitting will be located.

I too will sweat copper or glue PVC in the majority of cases, but
there have been times, such as putting a T in copper to tap in for a
PEX run way up in a joist bay, that the expense of SharkBites don't
seem so bad compared to trying to sweat copper in a cramped location
while contorted on top of step ladder in a dank, dusty basement.