Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default FIT slashed

Cash wrote:
Huge wrote:
On 2011-10-31, Dave Liquorice
wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15507750

Down to 21p/kWHr for installations completed after 12th Dec 2011.

Excellent news. Pity they don't make it retrospective.

+1

I hope they now also reduce (or even abolish) the 6% surcharge that's being
added to the energy bills to cover stuff like FIT.

Cash

The way it works is that the distribution companies are forced to pay
over the odds to the FITTers.

And so bills have to rise..I am not sure there is a fixed surcharge -
its just that te companies are having to raise prices becaise
- gas is more expensive
- coal is taxed
- renewables are mandatory and cost 2-10 times more
- the nuclear that we have paid for 40 years ago is now coming off line.
- maintaining the backup plant for the renewables is now expeniove as well..
- with Germany's nuclear plant now offline we are having to take up the
slack by running more expensive coal as well. Germany's decision added
about 10% to everyone's bill. Its good for our balance of payments as we
are now moving towards net electricity exports, BUT it means higher prices.

If we get a cold winter, lord knows if the EU mainland will be able to cope.