Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 2.2 million without power, in the northeast

I also like oil (kerosene) lamps. The camping section of
Walmart, I did find a small funnel with screen in it. That
makes filling the lamps a lot easier, and less spill.

If you use oil bottles, please label them. Don't want to top
off you car with a quart of kerosene. I use windshield
washer fluid gallon jugs. Labelled with permanant wide point
marker "KERO".

You're right, that kero lamp are enough light to stumble
around. Three or four oil lamps per room is about right for
functioning.

The glass base ones have the advantage you can see how much
fuel is left. The metal ones can be carried. Though, now
days, I carry a flashlight when moving about.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
news
We were using a propane camping light, and LED flaslights.
Will go
and buy 1 or 2 propane ceramic heating stoves tomorrow.
With that I
think we could withstand several days of no power, and
it's
comsidrably cheaper than a $1000 generator. We used a
rather big
camping cooler with ice for the perishables.

Consider, too, a few kerosene lanterns. They're fairly cheap
(about $6). Buy
some kerosene and store it in re-used one-quart oil
containers. These
containers can be found in quantity in your neighborhood
auto parts store's
trash bin.

Kerosene lanterns don't put out a LOT of light, but enough
to stumble around
by.