Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default 2.2 million without power, in the northeast

wrote:

The other massive cut was under Reagan but people ignore the fact that
these cuts came along with the elimination of a lot of tax shelters
and made a lot of corporate perks taxable.
It would really be interesting if we could see HL Hunt's tax return
from the 60s and compare it to how much he actually made.

Heh! Many (many) years ago I saw a PBS interview of H.L. Hunt. The
interviewer was F. Lee Bailey and he asked Hunt a "are you still beating
your wife?" question.

(Paraphrasing)
"Mr Hunt, when one thinks of Americans who have made great fortunes, the
Fords, the Rockefellers, Carnegies, Mellons, and so on, one also thinks of
the great philanthropic institutions they've endowed. Why is it that you've
never seen fit to share your largess with others?"

Hunt looked at Bailey, certain that Baliey had just eaten a bug. A large
bug.

"I use my money to give people something better than a painting to look at
or a book to check out. I use my money to give people a JOB!"

---
One of the endearing features of H.L. Hunt was that he brought his lunch to
work in a paper bag.

The SAME paper bag.

Every day.