Bob S.

Default table saw adjustment: how anal?

To others that object to this thread - then don't read it - real simple. But
don't tell me that bashing your tablesaw into alignment is a good thing and
that wood moves. You can bash on your tools if you like, I prefer to find
out why they won't align and fix the problem - properly. As you'll note,
several others have advised him to return the saw.

Okay Doug,

Please go back and cut and paste in your next post exactly what it is that I
said was wrong. Below is the statement I think you're referring to but hell
I've been wrong on every other count according to you - so please show me.

Here's that post verbatim....(and I pointed out in an earlier post how to
align the miter gauge to 90°)

"Also read your other post below. To make the point clear, since it is not
irrelevant, the miter gauge needs to be 90° to the miter slot before any
alignment if it is the point of reference. As adjustments are being made,
(this being the key thought) the angle will change (angle of attack) and so
will the distance between the blade and reference point. He must reset
his reference point to the front of the blade and then push it forward to
check for any differences."

Past that, I agreed the miter gauge could be at other than 90° - as long as
the point of reference (miter gauge) is reset after making an adjustment.
It's not a wrong statement at all. Would the word "should" be substituted
for "needs" in the above statement clarify it any better?

How would you have stated it?

How about just take your tape measure and measure from the blade to the
miter slot? How would you insure the angle of the tape was the same after
each measurement? My point was and is, set it at 90° and use that as the
reference. You want something other than that - fine but it doesn't make my
statement wrong.

Should I have said pick any angle you want and align the blade? What
purpose would that have served? It probably would have confused him but only
he could answer that. I provided a reference for him - just as you would
when you're trying to teach someone something. I was trying to impart a
proper method and steps for him to follow.

So if that's wrong then so be it.

Bob S.

The *entire* substance of the disagreement between us is your repeated and
erroneous claim that the angle between the miter gauge and the miter slot
somehow makes a difference in aligning the miter slot to the blade.

Address
*that* issue, without raising any further red herrings, or be quiet.