Peter De Smidt

Default Boeshield T9 Problem

John Crea wrote:
Wiping it OFF gives little protection. If you want the level of
protection you desire, you spray it on liberally, let it set, and it
produces a thick, soft, waxy surface that is superb for rust
protection, but SUCKS for use on a table saw TABLE

Use paste wax or something like TopCote on the table, use the
Boeshield elsewhere on the saw.

Again, if you use BoeShield, DO NOT wipe it off, and be sure you shake
the can real well

John

Well, leaving a thin coat should give better protection than no
protective. Spraying Boeshield on *caused* the table to noticably rust
in a day. This is *much* worse than what occurred the entire month the
top sat in the garage unprotected. Since BoeShield *causes* rust in my
application, I'm not sure why applying more would be a good idea. I'm
also at a loss as to why I should use Boeshield to cause rust on the
non-top parts of the saw.

I have two theories. One, there was a manufacturing defect and moisture
got into the T9. Second, while there wasn't any visible rust after a
month sitting unprotected, and I'm using a 2000 watt movie light as my
setup light/heater at the moment and so I doubt that I missed seeing
any, then perhaps there was microscopic rust that the Naphtha didn't
remove. If so, then perhaps spraying Boeshield sealed in whatever was
causing the rust, which caused the surface to rust faster.

I open to any other theories. My plan is to use BoeShield rust removing
spray and then apply paste wax to the top. Unless I can figure out what
went wrong, however, I won't use T-9 for anything.

-Peter