Ron Magen

Default Jet...Junk?

About 3 to 5 years ago I wanted a 'new' small outboard that had the ability
to 'shift' gears. With the 3.5hp you were 'in gear' ALL the time. I had to
swing it 180 degrees and lean way over the transom to be in 'reverse'. A bit
tricky for getting a sailboat into a slip or to a ramp. While Yamaha,
Tahotsu, and Nissan {actually made by Tahotsu !!} are all over the place, I
wanted to at least *try* to 'buy American'. I had started out - MANY years
ago - with an Evinrude, a great American 'standard'.

I also believe in *shopping*, plus there are actually very few 'small'
engines available. I finally found an 'older' dealer - in 'downtown South
Philly'. He had a 'leftover' 6hp, extra-long shaft Evinrude 'Yachttwin' -
with a generator. This was EXACTLY what I was looking for - it was
specifically for SAILBOATS !!

Lugged the carton home - a BIG carton, it had a 'impromptu' stand inside for
shipping support - and into the shop. I put together a 'work stand' tall
enough to allow the 25 inch 'shaft' to clear the floor, and got the motor
set-up. As I 'prepped' it - cleaning, waxing, greasing - I noticed the
attached metal 'manufacturers plate' . . . 'Made in BELGIUM' !! Talk about
stunned !!

Anyhow, the motor works fine. 'Evinrude' {at least the outboards}have been
sold to 'Bombardier' of Canada. And that's the last time I went 'out of my
way' to be 'patriotic'.

Could I go on ranting about the inequity of it all ? - ABSOLUTELY, but it
wouldn't do any good.

Regards,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Bill McNutt" wrote in message

American manufacturers need to find
way to make better tools at a competative price.

Most that are still in business today do just that ... they take it

overseas
to take advantage of the lower cost of the second of the two necessities

for
goods production in Eco 101.

--
www.e-woodshop.net