Paul Kierstead

Default table saw adjustment: how anal?

In article ,
"Bob S." wrote:

It must be in your blood to discredit whatever somebody else say's Doug.

OK, I think Doug may not have been very diplomatic, but:
- It doesn't matter what angle the guage is at. Why would you use other
then 90 degrees you say? Well, because you gauge is not yet squared the
the blade is why. So it might be 89.7, or whatever
- Have you read strickland's article? The man is insane. This is WOOD we
are cutting. Right after you cut it, it warps a little, probable expands
a little, etc. It has a mind of its own. I am all for accuracy, but
0.001, 0.0001, 0.002 are all pretty much the same. And no matter what,
you want a very high quality edge, the TS isn't going to give it to you.
- Who aligns tablesaws for a living???
- It isn't rocket science.
1. Rig something to compare difference between blade to miter slot at
the front and back of the blade. A stick clamped to a tight fitting
miter guage works fine and is highly accurate. No "aligner" kits needed.
2. Lossen trunion bolts very slightly. I leave one actually tight.
3. bash trunion with rubber mallet (not Steel!!! I use a deadblow one)
to make difference in (1) as close to zero as you have patience for.
4. tighten bolt. Remeasure. It will no longer be zero. Observe which
direction it is not zero and eyeball how much
5. repeat (2) -(4), except knock it out of square to account for
tightening action. If you have a good eye an a little luck, you can nail
this the first cycle. Otherwise you might need to repeat a little.

That is it. The system from woodcraft will make life a little easier,
but only a little. I did the above in under an hour, and most of that
was spent trying to get the right combination of socket extensions so I
could effectively torque the (*&(*# trunion bolts which are waaaay in
there.

All this bickering is ridiculous.

So, to put this to rest - finally. Perhaps you can enlighten the group as to
how to accurately and correctly align a Contractors style tablesaw so that
we may compare your methods and procedures against those that do this sort
of thing for a living. And as I did with my posts several years back that
covered the Delta CS, please credit the original reference material, note
your changes, tips/hints, improvements and rationale.

I'm sure a great number of readers would benefit more from that exercise
than our bickering.

Bob S.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
om...
In article , "Bob S."

wrote:
Advise you to do a search on "tablesaw alignments" . Here's one that

Steve
Strickland wrote http://www.puzzlecraft.com/Projects/HTMAP/07saw.htm that
may help open your eyes to what is at play.

The discussions on the wreck between Steve Strickland and Ed Bennett of

about
two years ago demonstrated that Steve's understanding of table saw

alignment,
and of geometry, is seriously deficient. It's quite illuminating to read
those, to see how Ed (and others) point out Steve's errors.

The article you cite is just a rehash of the nonsense that Steve posted

here,
that has been repeatedly discredited in this group. In particular, his

claim
of adjusting a table saw, using his methods, to produce accuracy to within
0.0001" has been _proven_ false.

Better advice: _ignore_ everything Steve Strickland says about table saw
adjustment.

--
Regards,

For a copy of my TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter,
send email to autoresponder at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com