Rick Stein

Default Jet...Junk?

Yitah Wu wrote:
I work for one of the big two (was big three) so I understand the "Buy
American" thing.

Unfortunately, everybody's moving overseas and you really have to look hard
to find something made in the US. I bought a Delta Planer and Drill press,
and after unpacking it, found that the DP is made in China and the planer is
made in Taiwan. China is still suspect in my book, but my experience is
that stuff out of Taiwan is consistently good quality. Separately, I bought
a Fuji bicycle, since it's a old, old brand out of Japan. Suprise, it's
made in Taiwan too.

The last bikes FUJI actually made in Japan were produced around 1987 or
1988 (give or take a year). The mid 1980's were the heyday for Japanese
made bikes - Fuji and Miyata come to mind. In 1986, IMO, the absolute
best year for Japanese bikes sold in this country, the dollar was at an
alltime high against the Yen, so importing Japanese goods to America
provided enormous values for American consumers. The currency exchange
rates starting reversing direction after 1986, and ultimately, Japanese
manufactures starting contracting with Tiawan to produce their designs.
Ultimately, Tiawan bikes got to be pretty good, but never as good as
their counterparts from Japan. Miyata held on longer than Fuji as a
purely Japanese bike supplier, but even they succumbed before 1990.
Panasonic and Bridgestone were the other major Japanese bike
manufacturers - mostly producing bikes under contract for marketing
companies. At one time, I think Bridgestone was the largest.

Now, China is the country or origin for many mid-level bikes sold in
this country. They produce equipment more cost-efficiently than Tiawan,
so production moved there -- probably not as good as Tiawan, but I'm
only guessing on that score.

Rick