Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_2_] Steve W.[_2_] is offline

Default CAUTION: Metal boat stuff advice sought

wrote:
SNIP
Teardrop would work but not very well. Now if you make the front side
curved but the back side flat or even slightly cupped you would get more
thrust. With a CNC or a good template it wouldn't be that difficult to make.

So I make the part like you describe above, which I can do, but still
make the blade resemble a ping pong paddle? Or would it be better to
make it look more like a normal prop blade? Since reverse doesn't need
to be very effiecent it seems that might work best. I obviously need
to do some more reading.
Eric

Normal prop blade shape would be better BUT remember that it can change
pitch so you don't have to create a profile that works only at one set
load/speed like a conventional prop.

Here are some different examples. The last one shows a complicated hub
but in the home shop it would be easy to make it simpler.
http://www.maritimejournal.com/featu..._work_together
http://www.brighthub.com/engineering...les/32845.aspx
http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/amart...14-200147.html
http://www.alfgam.se/cases/kamewa.htm